Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Form basics, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…Before we add the create, update, and delete actions to…our controllers, we need to learn about using forms in Rails.…We'll introduce the basics now and then take…a deeper dive into forms in a later chapter.…We will use several Rails helper methods to…help us to write the HTML for our forms.…There are two key points to keep in mind while using these helper methods.…First, anything that we can write with the…helpers, can also be written with simple HTML.…That's all the helpers are doing, they're helping us to write HTML.…The end result that goes back to the browser is always just plain HTML.…
Let's don't forget that.…Second, writing code using these helpers is almost always easier, more…powerful, and includes extra benefits, than if we use simple HTML alone.…The following examples will make some of those advantages clear.…Let's first look at a standard HTML form.…Inside the HTML form tags, there are three text input fields, for…name, position, and visible, followed by a Submit button labeled Create Subject.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.