Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Flash hash, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Throughout this chapter, we added the basic CURD to our application, but…there's been something that's not very user-friendly about the way that we…communicate with the user whenever we successfully process a form and then…redirect to another action.…What we really want is to be able to display a status message that says "subject…added successfully" or "subject updated successfully," but to display it after the…redirect, once the user lands on the new page.…But as we saw early on, a redirect is just like a new request.…It's like typing a URL into the browser directly.…So how can we set a message and still have it be available after the redirect?…This is a classic problem with HTML, because HTML is a stateless environment.…
It doesn't keep track of where we were before.…It just submits a new request each time.…So every time your browser goes out to ask for a new web page, it's a new request.…But there is a way for us to keep track and that's through using cookies and sessions.…And we'll talk more about cookies and sessions a little later on.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.