Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Flash hash, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…Throughout this chapter, we haven't been particularly…user friendly in the way we communicate…with the user whenever we successfully process…a form and then redirect to another action.…A better user interface would display a status message…that says, Subject Added Successfully, or Subject Updated Successfully.…After the redirect, once the user lands on the new page.…But as we saw early on when we were examining…the request response cycle, a redirect is a new request.…It's similar to typing a URL into the browser directly.…Any variables we sent in the first request response cycle before the…redirect, won't be available in the second request response cycle after the redirect.…
This is a classic problem with HTML, because HTML is a stateless environment.…It doesn't keep track of information from previous pages.…It submits a fresh request for each page.…It is possible to keep track of…data between requests, by using cookies and sessions.…The basic idea, is that when your browser goes to a website for the first…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.