Put the finishing touches on the simple_cms application. There is much more that could be done to continue improving it, but it is now a basic Ruby on Rails application that demonstrates the most important concepts of development.
- [Narrator] There's one last finishing touch…that we're going to make to our simple CMS project.…In our admin area, we have something that says…logged in as, and the idea that I had in mind…is that it would show the username…of the current logged in user right there.…But we've never added that in.…Let's see how we can do that now.…If we go to our controller, for access controller,…that's where we'll find the menu.…So the menu is what needs to display it.…So let's go ahead and let's just add here…something that says username equals…and then we need to get the person's username.…
So how do we know what their username is?…Well one way we could do it is that we know their user id,…that's stored in the session…and we know that we have that…because we've confirmed that they're logged in.…So when we get to the menu page, we should definitely…have a user id, we can go to the database,…and we can look up that user, bring back their information.…Now if we needed to go to the database…to have other information about the user,…
- Creating and configuring a new Ruby on Rails project
- Generating controllers and views
- Handling server requests
- Using different types of routes
- Rendering and viewing templates
- Generating migrations and models
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Finding records with queries
- Understanding relationship types
- Writing controllers for CRUD
- Working with layouts and helpers
- Managing application assets
- Building forms
- Validating data
- Authenticating users
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Get Started
3. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
4. Databases and Migrations
5. Models and ActiveRecord
7. CRUD, REST, and Resourceful Routes
8. Controllers and CRUD
9. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. Controller Features
14. User Authentication
15. Improve the Simple CMS
Next steps1m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.