Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Finding records, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Now that we've seen how to create, update, and delete records, we need to see how…we can go about finding records or constructing queries to query the database…and bring back records for us to work with.…I saved it until last, because there are a lot of things for us to explore.…It's one of the richer parts of working with active record. And that makes sense,…because in your application, you'll be finding records a lot more than you'll be…creating them, updating or deleting them.…You'll be browsing, a lot of data, you'll be looking through seeing what's in…the database, and then finally you locate something you want to change, then…you'll update the record.…
And certainly in our simple CMS on the public side, they're just going to be…seeing the pages that we've already entered.…It's only on the staff side they'll be able to create, update and delete.…So, let's spend a few movies seeing the different ways that we can find records.…We've already seen one, a very simple one, which I'll call the primary key finder,…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.