Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Errors in the production environment, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Throughout this chapter, we've mostly been looking at how to deal with errors…during development and that's good because that's where we want to find those…errors and fix them. But as hard as we might try, errors will make it into our…production code and we want to handle those errors a bit differently.…Most importantly, we don't want to show the not-so-user-friendly error pages…that we've been working with that expose a lot of our code details.…It's not very classy and it also presents a security issue.…Instead, we want to turn that behavior off.…We saw that previously in the config/ environments/production.rb file, there's…a configuration for consider_all_ requests_local and by default, for…production, it's set to false.…
In development, it's set to true and that's what displays those error pages in…development for us. But if we set it to false, then it won't show those errors in…the browser and instead it will show error pages to the user.…What are those error pages?…Well Rails gives us some predefined templates for them.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.