Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video DevKit, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…In the last movie, we saw how to install ruby.…But there's one more component of that that we need to install.…Which is the dev kit.…Let's see how to do that.…You can find out more information about dev kit and how to install it.…By going to github.com/oneclickrubyinstaller.…That's the repository, for the ruby installer.…And then on their wiki under development kit.…You can find out information.…That explains to you what DevKit is.…It's a toolkit that makes it easy to build and…use native C and C++ extensions for ruby on Windows.…
So, simply put, it means that when we start downloading ruby gems And,…it wants to compile those into native C extensions that we can use.…That way, they'll be optimized for speed.…Then, we're going to need dev [INAUDIBLE] were going to…need the compilers and things that come inside DevKit.…So, that's why we need to add it.…And, the way that we get that is from the rubyinstaller.…So, we'll switch back to the rubyinstaller website.…Rubyinstaller.org.…We'll go to Download.…And you'll see that underneath the Ruby…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.