Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Debugging techniques, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
We've seen how to understand errors when they arise and we've seen how logging works,…but sometimes the problems that we need to solve in programming aren't…actual errors and they don't show up in the logs.…Usually these problems take the form of something like "what I expected to…happen was X but instead what happened was Y." It happens all the time.…In this movie, let's talk about ways to debug your code and work through these problems.…The first is just good common sense advice but is definitely the best debugging…tool there is. Try and break problems down into smaller pieces.…If a multi-step process isn't working, try and figure out which step is actually…giving you the problem.…
Steps A, B, C, and D are breaking,…first test A. is that working the way it ought to, are you getting the…results you expect?…Then add in B and test that.…That will help isolate the problem and help you develop faster.…One great way to be able to step through your code piece-by-piece is using the Rails console.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.