Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Date and time helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Rails offers many tools to assist us with date and time calculations as well as…the formatting of dates and times for output.…These methods aren't exactly helper methods like the other ones we've been…looking at, because these methods are available throughout Rails, not just in the views.…These methods are additions that Rails makes to Ruby's core classes.…Let's get an overview of what methods are available and then we can try them out.…The first set that I want to look at are methods that are called on integers.…So for example, we could have 30.seconds, 30.minutes, 30.hours, days,…weeks, months and years.…
Each one of these methods has both the singular and a plural form.…They do the exact same thing.…It just makes it read a little better.…That way we can have 1 hour or 30 hours.…Each one of these methods is going to return a number of seconds and because it…returns a number of seconds, it can be used in addition and subtraction.…For example, you can say I've got Time.now + 30.days, which is the number of…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.