Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Date and time helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…Rails offers many tools to assist us with date and time…calculations as well as formatting of dates and times for output.…These methods aren't exactly helper methods…like the other ones we've been looking…at, because these methods are available throughout Rails, not just in the views.…These methods are additions that Rails make to Ruby's core classes.…Because they're available anywhere the rails console is a…great place for you to try them out and experiment.…Let's get an overview of what methods are available.…First, we can call methods on integers in…order to assist us with date and time calculations.…
So, for example we have second, minute, hour, day, week, month and year.…And you can call those on an integer to get…the number of seconds that would make up that item.…So 30.days would return the number of seconds that make up thirty days.…That's useful when we have a calculation, because…we can do time.now plus 30.days minus 23.minutes, and…it will return a date time to us…that's been changed by the appropriate number of seconds.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.