Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Custom helpers, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Throughout this chapter, we've been looking at the helper methods that Rails…provides to make it easier to perform common task in our application, primarily…in our view templates.…We don't have to just stick with what Rails provides.…We can add our own custom helpers too.…That's what we're going to be looking at in this movie.…Now the helpers are going to be Ruby modules.…If you know Ruby well, you know that modules are included in classes and they…work hand-in-hand with our controllers.…Whenever we generate a controller, Rails is going to generate a helper file to go with it.…By default, each controller is going to load up its helper file when it gets…called so that those methods are available for any of that controller's views.…
helpers are very useful for a couple of different things.…They are a good place to store code that we're going to need to call often.…They're good for complex sections of code that we don't want cluttering up our views.…Another advantage of helpers is that they are Ruby files, and therefore you…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.