…Throughout this chapter we've been looking at the helper methods, that…Rails provides to make common tasks in our view templates easier.…We aren't limited to only the helpers that Rails provides, we can add our…own custom helpers too, and that's what we're going to learn to do in this movie.…The helpers are methods defined inside Ruby modules.…Whenever we generate a controller, Rails is…going to generate a Helper file to match.…There's nothing magic about that file that it…generates, you can write your own helpers too.…Just make sure that the file name and the helpers module name match.…Any helper methods that are defined in that file,…will be available for use in our view templates.…
Helpers are useful for a couple of different things.…They're a good place to store code that we're going to need to call…often, that's helpful in trying to keep us from repeating ourselves in our code.…They're useful for storing complex sections of code…that we don't want cluttering up our views.…And remember, helpers are Ruby files, so that means you're…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.