Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Create action: Create, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In the previous movie we added the new action which will display a form and…submit those form values over to the create action.…New and create work together as a pair and together they make up the create…portion of CRUD. New displays the form, create processes the form.…In this movie we will be looking at create.…Let's start out by looking at the steps that it takes to process the form.…There are four main steps. First we are going to take the form parameters and we…are going to instantiate a new object using them.…Then we will try to save that object. If the save succeeds we will…redirect somewhere.…In our case we are going to redirect to the list action.…
If they save fails then we want to redisplay the form, so that the user can fix…the problems and resubmit it.…And you maybe thinking well wait, why would the save fail?…Why would this object not save?…So far we haven't put any kind data validation into our application, but…eventually we will and that allows to make sure that the data that's received in…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.