Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Cookies and sessions, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
We mentioned cookies and sessions briefly back when we talked about the…flash hash, because a Rails uses the session to store the flash hash values between requests.…Now let's get a closer look at them.…One of the challenges of building web applications is the web is inherently a…stateless environment.…That means it when web servers respond a requests for pages, each request is…treated as a brand-new request and the web server doesn't know, keep track of,…or care about what previous requests have been made.…It doesn't know what a user has selected in the past or what they've clicked on.…It doesn't know if the user is logged in or not and that's were cookies come in.…
Cookies help us to solve the problem of the stateless web.…A web server can place a cookie file on the user's browser and store data in it, our state.…With each request to that web server the browser will send along that cookie file.…A cookie might track where the user last clicked on or might include the user's…location, language preferences, or search settings.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.