Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Callbacks, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
In this movie you will learn to use callbacks to automate the encryption of passwords.…A callback is a reference to a method that's going to be sent to some process so…they can be executed at a predefined point in the process.…When the process runs and gets to that point it will pause, callback the method…you've given it, and then continue.…Essentially it's a way for us to insert a task in the middle of a process.…In Rails, callbacks provide a mechanism for us to intervening key points in the…validation in database interaction processes.…So here is a chart of the 14 main callbacks which we'll be using.…
Notice that there are columns for Create, Update, and Destroy.…When we create a new record Rails will start its process, do whatever it needs…to do, and then right before it gets to the validation it will stop and it will…look for any before validation callbacks.…If you've given it a task to do it will stop and do that task before it proceeds.…If not, it will just keep going.…It will do the validation, then it will check to see if we have any after…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.