Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Bundler, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
Once you start using RubyGems and plugins your application code starts depend on them.…If you move your application to another server or you share development with…other developers, you'll want those copies of your application to have the same…gems and plugins installed and the same versions loaded in the same order even.…Plugins are usually installed on application's vendor plugins folder.…So, they'll be included with the application.…But that's not true with the Gems.…They're stored in a central repository outside of the application folder.…This used to be a benefit, but now it creates a problem.…
The Rails team has tried two different solutions to this problem.…We won't bother looking at the old ones, because the current one is Bundler.…Bundler is itself a Gem that automatically downloaded when you install Rails.…You can think of it as a manifest or packing list for your application as…well as a gem installer.…Bundler works like a packing list, because in the root of every Rails…application there is a file called GEMFILE which lists all the gems needed…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.