Discover how RubyGems can add functionality to an application and then walk through the steps for adding the acts_as_list gem to the simple_cms.
- [Instructor] In this movie,…we're gonna learn more about RubyGems,…and we're going to install the acts_as_list RubyGem,…and use it in our project.…I'm not sure if you noticed,…but our sort positions that are in front…of all of our Subjects, our Pages,…and our Sections are a bit of a mess.…You can see right here, I've got two number ones,…Initial Subject and Default subject…both have the same number,…there's nothing preventing that from happening.…It's also maybe a little less obvious,…but if we go to our Pages and we click on Edit,…we get a list of the sort positions…that we can choose for this page.…
But that's a list of all sort positions,…remember we're just counting the pages,…and that's how we know which ones there are.…What we really want is to limit that…just to the pages for this subject.…We want to have the count and our positions be scoped…by the subject as well.…We know how to fix that problem.…We just need to go into our Controllers,…into PagesController,…and we have set_page_count.…Need to drop down here,…
- Creating and configuring a new Ruby on Rails project
- Generating controllers and views
- Handling server requests
- Using different types of routes
- Rendering and viewing templates
- Generating migrations and models
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Finding records with queries
- Understanding relationship types
- Writing controllers for CRUD
- Working with layouts and helpers
- Managing application assets
- Building forms
- Validating data
- Authenticating users
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Get Started
3. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
4. Databases and Migrations
5. Models and ActiveRecord
7. CRUD, REST, and Resourceful Routes
8. Controllers and CRUD
9. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. Controller Features
14. User Authentication
15. Improve the Simple CMS
Next steps1m 44s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.