Snippets are similar to variables – small chunks of content that may be used in multiple places in a project and that may change – but unlike variables that are text-only, snippets can contain anything that you would insert in a topic – text, tables, graphics, formatting, and more. Learn how to create, insert, and maintain these snippets.
- [Voiceover] In any project,…you may find yourself documenting material that can change.…If the material that changes is short, perhaps a few words,…a variable described elsewhere in chapter five…may do the trick just fine,…but if the changeable material is more complex,…several paragraphs of text,…or perhaps some text and an image and a table,…a variable won't do it, and instead, you want a snippet.…A snippet is a placeholder…that can contain anything that you would put into a topic.…
Images, text paragraphs, tables, movies, and so on.…Here, for example,…I have two topics called Topic A and Topic B, et cetera.…And in each topic, I want to have the same image,…and the same descriptive text paragraph below it.…The problem is,…what happens when that material,…maybe the image or maybe the text paragraph,…has to change?…Well, I could delete it and re-type it,…but again, that's very inefficient.…Instead, what I could do…is replace that material with a snippet, as I've done here,…by creating the snippet called snippet print dialog box,…
- Creating and opening projects
- Managing topics
- Importing content from HTML, Word, or FrameMaker
- Inserting images
- Creating TOCs, glossaries, and links
- Formatting with CSS
- Creating a single source of content (single sourcing)
- Understanding outputs
Skill Level Beginner
Word 2013: Creating Long Documentswith Maria Langer3h 19m Appropriate for all
MadCap Flare 12 Essential Trainingwith Neil Perlin3h 36m Beginner
1. Basic Concepts
2. Creating Content Using Topics
4. Add Formatting
5. Single Sourcing
6. Understanding Outputs vs. Targets
Output concepts2m 42s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.