Join Chris Reilly for an in-depth discussion in this video What is Grasshopper?, part of Rhino for Mac Essential Training.
- [Instructor] In this chapter, we'll go through the process…of building our musical instrument again…in a different way, one that's more flexible,…and will allow us to very easily change…the shape and the size of the instrument,…while still maintaining important design features.…We'll do this using Grasshopper.…Grasshopper is a plug-in for the…Rhinoceros 3D modeling software,…and gives us a visual interface for building algorithms…that generate geometry in Rhino.…So, as powerful as Rhino's 3D modeling tools are…on their own, there comes a point,…especially dealing when dealing with complex models,…where a user might want more flexibility.…
So, for example, we might want the ability…to quickly change the fundamental attributes…of a complicated model,…like we'll do with our musical instrument.…Or, we might want the ability to make complex geometry…through the repetition of simple forms,…or maybe you'd even like to use mathematical functions,…or data, to control or generate shapes.…Grasshopper can help us take any of those approaches…
- Installing Rhino for Mac
- Preparing a design
- Modeling metal parts
- Importing models
- Modeling parametrically with Grasshopper
- Extruding objects
- Modeling curves, surfaces, and solids
- Creating diagrams, 2D drawings, and layouts
- Preparing for fabrication: cutting and 3D printing
Skill Level Beginner
Rendering Fundamentals with Rhino and V-Raywith Dave Schultze2h 46m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Rhino for Macwith Chris Reilly7h 25m Beginner
Sketching for Product Design and AECwith Kevin Henry3h 45m Intermediate
Introducing Rhino for Mac
1. Setting Up Rhino
Uninstalling Rhino2m 34s
2. Design Overview
3. Modeling a Musical Instrument
4. Modeling Parametrically with Grasshopper
5. Creating Measured Drawings and Layouts
7. Preparing for Digital Fabrication
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.