This tutorial covers Visual Basic .NET scripting components in Grasshopper. In this video, learn how to generate a recursive fractal pattern as part of your parametric design.
- In this video we'll look at scripting…through Grasshopper using Visual Basic dot net,…it's also called VB or VB.net for short.…So in Rhino I've got the file,…simple-fractal.3dm open and in Grasshopper…I'm just starting with a blank file,…so let's take a look at what we're…going for in this video.…Just going to zoom in a little bit here on this…pattern, and this is kind of the end result…of what we'll work on scripting so this…simple fractal pattern where we start…with an input line, and then we make new lines…that are rotated a little bit around…the starting point of the original line…and just a little bit shorter.…
Each ones a little bit shorter than the last…and each one is rotated some angle…around that starting point.…So that's what we're working towards,…and now in the Algorithmic Thinking chapter…we covered just what makes it so hard…to do these sorts of recursive or fractal…patterns in Grasshopper right out of…the box without using a script.…So let's jump over to Grasshopper…and start getting our VB components set up,…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.