Learn how to design a parametric tiling system in Grasshopper. This video shows you how to import a 3D base tile from Rhino, and seamlessly tessellate it using Grasshopper.
- [Instructor] In the last video,…we set up a plan to adapt our hexagonal tiling algorithm…to work with 3D objects like this truchet tile.…In this video, we'll go through the…steps to make those changes.…Now, in Rhino, I've got the file hextiling.3dm open,…and I've got the 3D hex tile layer on.…In Grasshopper, I'm continuing with the…definition from the last video,…and that file is called 0070hexagonaltiling3dplan.gh,…and we're going to add to that definition.…So, let's start in Grasshopper,…all the way at the beginning of our algorithm,…and we need to adapt our inputs here to…get some 3D geometry to work with.…
So, I'll go ahead and add a geometry component.…Okay, and we can get rid of that note.…And I'll right click here, and set one geometry,…and I can, in Rhino, select my tile.…And back in Grasshopper, I can right click,…and disable preview since we can…already see it in the Rhino window.…Now we can move back to the other end of our algorithm.…And let's focus on this step, the draw hex base points.…
And we've actually already got that…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.