This tutorial shows how to simulate positions of the sun at different times of the day using Ladybug's Sunpath component. Ladybug and Honeybee are open-source Grasshopper plugins designed for modeling and simulating climate data.
- [Instructor] In this video, we're going to take a look…at some other visualization tools that are built…into Ladybug, and this time, we're going to be dealing…with sunlight and how it might interact with buildings…or physical structures.…So in Rhino, I've opened the exercise file…ladybug-sunpath.3dm, and in Grasshopper,…we're going to start from an earlier file.…So I've opened up 0050-ladybug-windrose,…and we're going to make some edits to this file…and get it working with the Ladybug_SunPath component.…So first of all, I'd like to keep some parts…of this algorithm and delete some other parts.…
So I'm going to keep everything basically…up to the analysis period, and we're just going to get rid…of this part that's setting up the windrose.…We don't need that anymore.…I'm also going to make some adjustments to my analysis period.…So we're going to keep August 21st…as the day that we're focused on…and we're going to change the hour to one o'clock, or 13,…and we're going to go to four o'clock, or 16,…and just looking at what we've got in our Rhino file,…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.