Join Chris Reilly for an in-depth discussion in this video Simulating grid shells, part of Grasshopper Essential Training.
- [Instructor] In the last video,…we walked through what a gridshell structure is.…Now let's use Grasshopper and Kangaroo to simulate one.…I'm working in the Rhino file gridshell-base.3dm…alongside a new blank Grasshopper definition.…Okay, let's jump into Grasshopper…and get started making a gridshell.…So I'm going to go ahead…and open up the Rhino file gridshell-base.3dm.…I've got that open right behind my example file here,…along with a new blank Grasshopper definition.…So in our gridshell-base file, we just have two things here.…First is rectangular curve,…and that is oriented at 45 degrees to this mesh grid.…
And the mesh grid is made up of a 15 by 20 unit grid.…It doesn't have to be that.…That's just what it is in this case.…But the main point is that all of the faces are square,…so same length and same width.…So that'll get us started jumping into Grasshopper,…giving us something to use and plug into Kangaroo…and start doing some simulations.…In Grasshopper, I'll go ahead and make a mesh component.…I'll make a curve component…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.