Learn how to generate a shadow study in Grasshopper, which makes a visualization of sunlight at a specific location. This tutorial shows you how to connect Ladybug's sunpath component to the sunlight hours analysis component to make a color-coded mesh sho
- [Instructor] In this video, our goal is to use…Ladybug's sunpath component to make a visual output…of parts of our building site that will receive…direct sunlight during the analysis period we set up.…So in Rhino, I've got the file ladybug-sunpath.3dm open…and in Grasshopper, I've got the file…0080-ladybug-sunpath-setup-finished.gh.…So let's take a look here in Grasshopper…at our analysis period.…So remember, this is the range of dates and times…that we're telling Ladybug to pull sunlight positions from…and right now this is set to August 21st…from one p.m. to four p.m., so that's the range of time…we're going to be looking at.…
Let's go back to the end of our algorithm…and let's just add a step here and we'd like to analyze…the sunlight hours…during the analysis period.…Okay, so that's just a nice reminder of…what it is we're actually trying to accomplish here.…So before we go any further,…I'm going to come back to my SunPath component.…I just want to right-click and disable the preview.…
That's going to hide that sunpath geometry in our Rhino window,…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.