Learn how to plan for a Grasshopper definition that seamlessly tiles a hexagonal pattern. This video shows you how to tile hexagons in rows and columns with no space in between.
- [Instructor] In the last video…we covered some basic properties…of hexagonal tiling.…In this video, we'll put those principles to use…by making the starting points…of a parametric, hexagonal tiling algorithm…where eventually we can control…the number of rows and columns of hexagons.…In Rhino I've got the file hex-tiling.3dm open.…And in Grasshopper I've got the file…0020-hexagonal-tile.gh open.…So I'm going to focus on these five steps…in my algorithm,…and, in a later video, we'll get to the last two.…So, I'll slide these ones over…out of the way for now.…
Let's get started first on calculating…the horizontal and the vertical offsets.…So I'll also grab these bottom three.…Just put those kind of in the middle.…So, in order to calculate both of these offsets…we need some user-defined slider values.…I'm going to go ahead and make a slider…for a radius, and that will be a floating point value…probably between one.…We'll set to the default to 13,…and maybe we'll say 50 is the max.…
So I right-click and just title that as radius.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.