Learn to script custom Python components in Grasshopper. Python components are one technique for introducing recursion in Grasshopper. Python is a great choice for scripting in Grasshopper because it works on both Mac and Windows operating systems.
- [Instructor] In the last video…we looked at installing the GH Python component…which allows us to script in the Python language…right inside of Grasshopper.…So in this video I want to just kind of scratch the surface…of some of the powerful things we get access to…when we start combining scripting with Grasshopper.…So in Grasshopper I've just got an empty file open…and in Rhino I've got the file simple-fractle.3dm open…and I just want to give you…a little bit of an overview of what we're going for here.…Now we talked in the algorithmic thinking chapter about…iteration and recursion and…why some of those techniques are…difficult if not impossible with…Grasshopper as it comes right out of the box.…
So this is what we're looking to build…using a Python script.…So I have this very simple fractal pattern here…that's kind of self repeating, so I start with a line,…I make a line one unit above it…that is half the length and centered on its parent…and I do that again and again and again and again…as many times as I feel like repeating.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.