This tutorial shows how to make a seamless grid of tessellating 3D tiles. Learn how to plan for a hexagonal grid system for tile design in Grasshopper.
- [Instructor] In this video, we'll continue working…in the Rhino file hex-tiling.3dm.…Right now, I've got the Grasshopper definition…for the last video open.…That's 0060-hexagonal-tiling-parameters.gh…and we're going to continue adding to that definition.…So before you go much further, in Grasshopper,…I'm going to right-click on this polygon component…and disable the preview.…We'll come back to that later, and in Rhino,…I'll turn on and set as current my 3D hex tile layer,…and I just want to make sure all the rest of my Rhino layers…are off besides Default.…
So we've spent the last several videos…building a parametric hexagonal tiling algorithm…where we can adjust the diameter, the quantity,…and the spacing of a hexagonal grid.…In this video, we're going to work towards using that…as a framework to help us arrange 3D geometry…into a tiling pattern.…I have a shape there that's based on the design…known as a Truchet tile, named after Sébastien Truchet,…a 17th-century French mathematician.…Now there are many variations to this tiling pattern.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.