This tutorial shows you how to make a hexagonal tile in Grasshopper that can be seamlessly tessellated in any orientation. Learn how to set up symmetry and rotation to aid in hexagonal tile design.
- [Narrator] In the last video we looked at…using reflectional symmetry to set up…a simple hexagonal tiling design.…In this video we'll dive a little bit deeper into planning…for a variation on the true shade tile where each edge of…the hexagon could line up with any…other edge when we tile it.…So I'm working in the Rhino file, hex-tiling.3dm.…And I'll continue along with the…grasshopper definition we made in the last video…and that file is called 0080simplecustomtilefinished.gh.…Now I've also got the grasshopper file…0070hexagonaltiling3dobject.ghopen…and that way I can switch over to that file…when I'd like to see how my pattern will tile.…
So let's see how that would work.…(keyboard clicking)…We'll go ahead and zoom in on the geometry component here.…Just right click and let's bake this into the default layer.…And I'll right click and disable preview.…So now I've got this geometry in my Rhino file…and I can switch over to my hexagonal tiling 3D object file.…And set it as the input geometry.…So I'll right click on the geometry component…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.