Learn how to set up a parametric design for hexagonal tiles. This video tutorial shows how to design tessellation patterns that repeat over a hexagonal grid in Grasshopper.
- [Instructor] In this video, I'd like to…work towards a Grasshopper definition…for creating my own Parametric Tile Pattern…to use as the base geometry for…the hexagonal tiling algorithm we've worked on…in the last several videos.…Tiling is wonderfully complex and there's almost no end…to the variations or the complexity…we can create.…Right now, we'll just focus on the basics…creating a simple set up for a tile…that has some of the same properties…as our Truchet tile from the last video.…I'll be working in the Rhino File…hex-tiling.3dm and I'll expand the…Simple Custom Tile layer, and turn on…the Truchet Shapes layer and the Symmetry Diagram layer…and make sure the whole Custom Tile layer is on too.…
And in Grasshopper, I've got the files…0080SimpleCustomTile.gh open.…So, hexagonal tiles are so much fun to work with…because they have so many different kinds of symmetry.…Some tiling patterns have rotational symmetry,…some have reflection symmetry,…some actually have both.…So it really gives us a lot of options…in terms of designing something interesting.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.