This tutorial shows you how to align a solar panel to recieve the most sunlight possible for a given latitude, using Ladybug's sunpath component and Grasshopper's vector cross product. Ladybug and Honeybee are open-source Grasshopper plugins designed for
- [Instructor] In the last video…we calculated the average sunlight vector…for this specific location…and I'd like to use that information…to figure out the best angle to mount a solar panel.…So I'm starting with the Rhino file Ladybug sun path.3dm…and I've gone ahead and turned on this…solar panel layer.…I can see right down here is my proposed solar panel site.…I've also got the Grasshopper file…0085 Ladybug sun path average finish.gh open…and to help me figure out the correct rotation…for my solar panel…I'm going to use a vector operation called the cross product…and that calculates a vector that's perpendicular…to two other vectors.…
Now I have this one vector already,…the average sun position,…and I'll need to calculate at least one other vector…to help get my mounting angle.…So let's go back to Grasshopper…and we'll setup some notes to help us as…we tweak our algorithm.…First thing I'll do is…just right click on the sun path component…and let's disable preview on that.…I don't need to necessary see all those sun positions.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.