Learn to make a centered rectangle in this step towards modeling a parametric musical instrument in Grasshopper. This training video is one step of several tutorials on developing an algorithmic design for a musical instrument.
- [Instructor] So in the last video,…we worked through making the parametric step…to generate thru holes for our musical instrument.…In this video, we'll work on making the profile…for the top of the instrument.…So the top is going to be a rectangular bar…and so if you think of our instrument…kind of like a sandwich, the bottom base…and the top that we're going to make in this video…are the bread and the metal parts are the peanut butter.…So in Rhino, I've got the file instrument-setup.3DM open…and in Grasshopper,…I've got 0030-instrument-thru-holes open.…
So let's get to work on this step of making our top profile.…And essentially, this is going to be a rectangle.…I want it centered on the base profile.…And I want it to also encompass the thru holes,…so the thru holes need to be identical…on both the top profile and the base profile…and that'll actually allow the nuts and bolts…to all line up with each other.…So I know I need a rectangle component for this.…And since I'd like my rectangle centered on the base profile…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.