What makes working in Grasshopper different from working in Rhino? Learn the difference between traditional drawing and parametric/algorithmic modeling by outlining additive versus associative design.
- [Instructor] The transition from working…in Rhino along, to working in Rhino with Grasshopper,…requires a pretty big shift in thinking…from additive to associative design.…In this video, I'd like to talk just a little bit about…what those two terms mean.…So let's start with additive design.…Now, in traditional Rhino, without Grasshopper,…you start with a blank file and…as we make new shapes and edits,…we add in complexity, eventually arriving…at a finished model.…The focus for the most part,…is on getting to a high quality finish stage…and all the preliminary edits and steps to get there…are just means to an end.…
You probably already know that with few exceptions.…Once your model is finished, it can be incredibly hard…to make changes without going…through most of the same modeling process…all over again.…This rigid quality is actually very similar…to drafting or drawing a design on paper.…In a nutshell, that's because the consistency…of the model in Rhino is not really built-in…and Rhino isn't keeping track of all the initial edits…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.