This tutorial shows you how to download EPW climate data files, either locally to your computer, or through a URL. This data can be imported into Rhino through the Ladybug plugin, and used to simulate and model climate data. Ladybug and Honeybee are open-
- [Male Instructor] In this video,…we'll go through the steps of importing climate data…into Grasshopper through our Ladybug plugin.…I've opened up the Exercise file 0040-ladybug-import,…and here I just have a few panels laid out…giving us an outline of our algorithm…for getting that data into Grasshopper.…So, the first thing we're going to need to do…is to set up Ladybug.…Next, we'll need to link to EPW Data.…And we can do that either from a folder…or from a URL.…I'll show you both ways.…And that EPW is a special file format…that holds climate data.…
All sorts of information including location,…sun positions, temperature, wind speed,…things like that.…And then, finally, we'll need to import that EPW Data…into Grasshopper.…So, I'd like to first tackle both of these components…of our algorithm, and that's getting the EPW Data.…So, I'm going to jump to my web browser,…and we'll take a look at how to get access…to an EPW file.…So I here on the Ladybug website,…that's www.ladybug.tools/epwmap.…And this gives us a really great interactive search tool,…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.