Join Chris Reilly for an in-depth discussion in this video Importing hardware models, part of Rhino for Mac Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] In the last video,…we created 3D objects and profile curves…for the custom metal parts of our musical instrument.…Now, we'll bring in one last set of metal parts,…literally the nuts and bolts…that will hold our musical instrument together.…These are going to be stock parts,…so they're not custom-made.…We could get them right off the shelf at the hardware store.…And so, rather than sit in Rhino…and model all the screw, threads, and other details,…we can get ready-made models…and just import them into our file.…This allows for a more realistic visualization and 3D print,…while cutting out lots of modeling work.…
Now, I know from the prototyping stage,…where I went through several different sets…of nuts and bolts and washers, which ones work the best…while being the most cost-effective.…Once I've decided on my hardware,…I went to the website of my industrial supplier…and downloaded 3D models of each part.…You can see them here in my Downloads folder,…as well as in the exercise files.…So I have a file for a Screw, a file for a Washer,…
- Installing Rhino for Mac
- Preparing a design
- Modeling metal parts
- Importing models
- Modeling parametrically with Grasshopper
- Extruding objects
- Modeling curves, surfaces, and solids
- Creating diagrams, 2D drawings, and layouts
- Preparing for fabrication: cutting and 3D printing
Skill Level Beginner
Rendering Fundamentals with Rhino and V-Raywith Dave Schultze2h 46m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Rhino for Macwith Chris Reilly7h 25m Beginner
Sketching for Product Design and AECwith Kevin Henry3h 45m Intermediate
Introducing Rhino for Mac
1. Setting Up Rhino
Uninstalling Rhino2m 34s
2. Design Overview
3. Modeling a Musical Instrument
4. Modeling Parametrically with Grasshopper
5. Creating Measured Drawings and Layouts
7. Preparing for Digital Fabrication
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.