Join Chris Reilly for an in-depth discussion in this video Form-finding with Kangaroo, part of Grasshopper Essential Training.
- In the last video, we looked at…pulling out some measurements of the shortest…and longest edge lengths in our gridshell.…This information is really useful…in our form finding process, where we'd like to explore…a range of possible gridshell shapes while still…keeping all the edge lengths as consistent as possible.…I'm continuing right here where we left off…in the example file 007 form-find-gridshell.gh.…What I can also pull from these pieces of information…is, you know, what is the biggest deviation…that we're getting from the overall mesh.…
In there I'll just do a quick little expression.…So double click to edit that, and then we're just going to…take the absolute value of one minus x.…So absolute value between one…and whatever that edge length is.…So that way if the edge line happens to be less than one…or more than one, it shouldn't matter…and we won't get a negative value,…so it'll just show us the pure difference.…Okay and we'll zoom in a little bit here,…plug in the output from that minimum length,…and since that's the only piece of information…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.