This tutorial shows how to connect components in a Grasshopper definition to form a seamless hexagonal tiling tessellation. Learn how to use number sliders to control the radius of a hexagon, and repeat the shape in rows and columns.
- [Instructor] In the last video, we set up the first parts…of a hexagonal tiling algorithm, and in this video,…I'm starting right where we left off.…In Rhino, I've got hex-tiling.3dm open…and in Grasshopper, I'm working in the file…0020-hexagonal-tiling-part2.gh,…and if you remember where we left off,…we had generated a grid of points for all of the rows…and columns where we'd like to place hexagons,…and I could see that if I enable the preview…on this last point component here.…
All right, so these are our points,…and since we're working with hexagons here,…I need to add some vertical offsets to every other column…so that they can tile together perfectly.…So that's one of the next steps I'm going to take.…I can see here I need to finish by offsetting…every other column vertically and then drawing my hexagons.…So let's tackle the offset step first…and then we'll get to drawing the hexagons.…And to start, I'd like to be able to pick out…the odd-numbered columns and add that vertical offset…to their y coordinates.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.