Join Chris Reilly for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting for 3D printing, part of Rhino for Mac Essential Training.
- [Instructor] So, we prepped our model for 3D printing,…and, in this video, we're gonna cover the process…of exporting from Rhino to a format…that a 3D printer can understand.…Right now, our model is all made up of NURBS objects,…and that is not a format that a 3D printer can understand.…We need to convert these into mesh objects and export them,…usually in a format called an STL file.…Unlike NURBS objects, which are infinitely mathematically…smooth, mesh objects are faceted, so they're made up…of individual flat, triangular faces.…
And the challenge with exporting for 3D printing…is preserving as much detail in your model,…preserving all those important design features,…and surface features, while not building in…too much information into the file.…So let's go ahead and take a look…at the mesh export settings.…I'm gonna zoom out here, and just do a crossing selection…to grab all of the objects that we'd like to sense…as our 3D print.…From the File menu, I'll select Exports Selected.…I wanna be careful not to select Export,…
- Installing Rhino for Mac
- Preparing a design
- Modeling metal parts
- Importing models
- Modeling parametrically with Grasshopper
- Extruding objects
- Modeling curves, surfaces, and solids
- Creating diagrams, 2D drawings, and layouts
- Preparing for fabrication: cutting and 3D printing
Skill Level Beginner
Rendering Fundamentals with Rhino and V-Raywith Dave Schultze2h 46m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with Rhino for Macwith Chris Reilly7h 25m Beginner
Sketching for Product Design and AECwith Kevin Henry3h 45m Intermediate
Introducing Rhino for Mac
1. Setting Up Rhino
Uninstalling Rhino2m 34s
2. Design Overview
3. Modeling a Musical Instrument
4. Modeling Parametrically with Grasshopper
5. Creating Measured Drawings and Layouts
7. Preparing for Digital Fabrication
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.