This tutorial covers how to use vectors to show the direction and speed of wind data coming out of the Ladybug Wind Rose component in Grasshopper. Ladybug and Honeybee are open-source Grasshopper plugins designed for modeling and simulating climate data.
- [Instructor] In this video,…I'd like to continue where we left off…in the last video.…I've got the Grasshopper file: 0050-ladybug-windrose open…and what I'd like to do here is to take this data…that we're pulling out of the windRose component,…specifically the wind speeds and wind directions…and use those to construct some vectors.…So, I'm actually going to right-click…on the windRose component, here, and just turn the preview…off, we don't need to use that graph part of it anymore…but we will still work this data that we're pulling out.…So, again, we've got these two lists of numbers, here.…
First one's coming out of wind speeds…and if I look under the string output…I can see wind speed in meters per second…and for the directions I can see I'm getting…a wind direction in degrees.…So, our goal here is to take those two pieces of information…and turn them into a vector.…I'm going to start, here, by laying out a couple…of Panel components;…give myself some notes about what I'm actually trying…to do, here, in my algorithm.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.