Learn how to create a seamlessly tessellated hexagonal tile design in Grasshopper. This video tutorial shows you how to create variable patterns using random numbers and edge intersections.
- [Instructor] In the last video,…we laid out some plans for updating our algorithm…for designing a custom truchet tile…where each edge of the hexagon…could line up with any other edge when we tile it.…In this video, we'll work on making those updates.…I'm working in the Rhino file hex-tiling.3dm.…And I'll continue with the Grasshopper definition…we set up in the last video,…and that file's called 0090-custom-truchet-tile-plan.gh…I've also got the Grasshopper file…007-hexagonal-tiling-3D-object.gh open.…
And that way I can switch over to that file…when I'd like to see how my pattern will tile.…Before we jump into making our three new steps,…I need to do a little bit of housecleaning…in the existing ones.…One of the things I'll pay close attention to…as I update my algorithm is the way that my data tree flows.…And what I'm going for is to maintain one branch…for each section of the geometry that we're pulling in…the top, the upper right, and the lower right.…And this is going to be a little more work up front…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.