Learn how to make a base tile that has hexagonal symmetry. This tutorial shows you how to use reflection symmetry and mirroring in Grasshopper to create a repeating hexagonal tile.
- [Narrator] In this video,…I'm going to flesh out the steps of our algorithm…for creating a simple parametric hexagonal tile.…I'll be working in the Rhino file hex-tiling.3dm.…So I've gone ahead and expanded the Simple Custom Tile layer…and made sure I toggled on the Symmetry Diagram layers…and the Custom Truchet Shapes layer.…In Grasshopper,…I've got the file 0080-simple-custom-tile.gh open.…And, now we can go ahead, and just dive in,…and start fleshing out our algorithm.…So, I'm going to tackle these first three steps.…
And we can just select these other ones,…and slide 'em on down in our definition for later.…Give myself a little more space, here.…First thing I need to do is get the tile shapes.…And, just as an example,…I'm going to use the geometry that I have…in my Custom Truchet Shapes layer.…So that is this rectangle, this oval,…and these two squiggly lines.…And, so, for those, I'm going to make three geometry inputs.…
And I'm just going to right-click and label these…one for the top.…One for the upper-right.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.