Learn to condense large groups of Grasshopper components in a complex definition. This tutorial also covers using clusters with custom inputs and outputs.
- (Voiceover) In this video,…I'd like to talk about clustering.…And that's a technique in grasshopper that lets us…group together multiple components.…So, in Rhino, I've just got a blank file,…and in Grasshopper I'm working in the…definition '0010-arc2pt-precluster.gh'.…Let's just take a quick look at what's going on here.…This is an algorithm that makes an arc…from two points and a radius.…Now, that's a command that I'm familiar with from working…with Rhino, but there's no pre-made…component for it in Grasshopper,…so to me it made sense to build my own.…
I'll just really briefly go over the steps…of the algorithm here.…I'm getting the midpoint between my two points,…I'm making a vector that's perpendicular…to those two points,…I'm getting the distance of the midpoint of that line…to the arc, I'm picking a direction for the arc,…and then I'm generating a third point in feeding…that into Grasshopper's built-in Draw Art function…that uses three points.…I've got some inputs over here at the beginning,…I'm specifying two points,…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.