Learn how to average vectors together in Grasshopper using vector addition. In this tutorial, learn how to calculate the average position of the sun over the course of the year using Ladybug's sunpath component. Ladybug and Honeybee are open-source Grassh
- I'd like to plan for placing a solar panel…on the roof of my house…and since it's not in the sunniest climate,…I need to make sure I have the placement…of the panel mounts in just the right orientation…to catch the most sun.…I'd like to use my sun path setup to get…the average sunlight vector from a year's worth…of sun positions.…Starting in Rhino, I've got the file…ladybug-sunpath.3dm open…and I'll go ahead in the layers panel and just turn on…this solar panel layer.…You can see that's the side of the roof I'm thinking…about mounting that solar panel on.…
In Grasshopper, I've got the file…0080-ladybug-sunpath-setup-finish.gh open…and we'll use that as a starting point.…I'm going to add a step to my algorithm here,…right at the end, and I'll just make a note of that…with a panel, where we get the average sun position vector.…We'll come back and tackle that later on.…
Before we do that though, I need to adjust…my analysis period…so that it's pulling sunlight position values…for an entire year.…You can see right now, I'm just pulling three hours worth…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.