Learn how to use the Ladybug plugin inside Grasshopper to visualize wind speed and direction. This tutorial shows how to set up the Wind Rose component to show a visual graph of climate data for a specific analysis period. Ladybug and Honeybee are open-so
- [Instructor] In this video, I'd like to focus on…pulling out some of the EPW climate data…that we worked on importing in the last video.…Specifically, I'm going to be focusing on…wind speed and wind direction.…So, I'm continuing from the file where we left off.…I've got the Grasshopper definition 0040…Ladybug import finished, open in Grasshopper,…alongside a blank Rhino file, and you can see here,…I've just gone ahead and updated from our panels…to a group kind of describing…what each step in our algorithm is doing.…
So, up here at the top, I'm setting up Ladybug.…Down here, I'm linking to my EPW data from this URL.…I'm not using the direct link to the local file,…but again, that's a matter of preference…how you want to link to that EPW file.…Down here, I'm importing that EPW data into Grasshopper,…and I have all these outputs here…with different climate data that we can work with…and, specifically, I'm going to be focusing on wind speed…and wind direction in this video.…So the component that goes along with wind speed…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.