Learn how to create pipes and variable pipes that align with vectors in Grasshopper. This tutorial shows you how to use the vectors from the previous video to align solid shapes to a surface.
- [Narrator] In this video…we're continuing from where we left off in the last video…where we used the dot product to test whether a point…faced the front of our surface.…Now I'd like you to use that test here…to help me draw shapes along the vectors…of points that face the surface.…So in Rhino I'm working the file…vector-dot-product.3dm…And in Grasshopper I've got the file…0120-vector-dot-product-finished.gh…So to get started here…I'll need to add two steps to my algorithm.…Let's go into Grasshopper and do that.…
I'll just bring up a couple panel components here.…So the first step I'd like to add is to…get the points…that face the surface.…And the closest points on the surface…that correspond to each one of those points.…After that…I'd like to make shapes…between the surface and the closest points.…
So let's focus on our first step.…And to get started here…I'm going to be working with the dispatch component.…Dispatch separates a list into two segments…based on a pattern of true and false inputs so…I'm actually going to need two of these.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.