Learn how to add an even gap to a hexagonal grid in Grasshopper. This tutorial shows how to space hexagons horizontally and vertically so the distance between them is consistent.
- [Man] In the last two videos,…we set up a parametric hexagonal tiling algorithm…that generates a perfectly tiled field of hexagons.…We'll continue working in the Rhino file, hex-tiling.3dm…and right now I've got the Grasshopper definition…from the last video open,…0030-hexagonal-tiling-finished.gh.…And we're just going to keep adding to that definition.…One ability I'd like to have…is to space out the hexagons evenly.…And maybe I'd use this for designing ceramic tiles,…and I want to simulate the grout lines,…or I just want some more flexibility in creating my designs.…
So my goal in this video is to add a spacing parameter…to put an even gap in between each tile.…We can do that pretty easily.…We'll just need to modify our algorithm a little bit.…So back at the beginning in step one.…I'll just make some notes…for what I need to accomplish here.…So I'm going to add a user-defined…spacing parameter.…
And then, in these steps…where I'm calculating the horizontal and vertical offset,…I'll just need to factor in that spacing parameter.…
By the end of the course, you'll see how even basic literacy in Grasshopper can be applied to developing projects for art, manufacturing, architecture, and design.
- Working with algorithms
- Modeling a base profile
- Extruding elements
- Finishing an algorithm
- Planning for mass production
- Customizing Grasshopper
- Scripting with Python and Visual Basic .NET
- Modeling data with Ladybug
- Creating a tiling grid
- Tiling 3D objects
- Using reflection symmetry and mirroring to repeat tile
- Tessellating tile in any direction
Skill Level Beginner
1. Algorithmic Thinking
2. Modeling a Musical Instrument
3. Customizing Grasshopper
4. Modeling Climate Data with Ladybug
5. Tiling and Tessalation
6. Simulation and Form-Finding with Kangaroo
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.