Join Eric Wing for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding basic formulas, part of Revit: Structural Families.
- [Voiceover] So now we get in the formulas.…If you're a programmer, this is easy.…If you're a structural engineer or designer,…this isn't really part of your job description.…Or is it?…It's in the formulas that dictate…how complex a family is.…The more you have parameters driving one another,…the less you have control over your family,…but the more automated the family's going to be.…The decision's up to you, how much automation…you want to build into your family.…The objective of this video is to investigate the makeup…of a formula and how it applies to a family.…
What we look at is more than one parameter…combined to produce a value.…It could be textural or mathematical.…It has to be the same category.…Either a type parameter or an instance parameter.…So if we take a look at some of these,…it can be simple or complex.…It's a good idea to develop formulas as you go.…It's also a good idea to flex your formulas often.…Too often I'll get halfway through a family…and forget to flex it and find out something broke.…
Following an overview of the basics, Eric provides specific instructions on modeling different types of families: foundation, framing, annotation, and truss families. He'll show how to perform 3D extrusions and build in flexibility with parameters, as well as create formulas, array parameters, and lookup tables.
- Understanding parameters and reference planes
- Creating extrusions and sweeps
- Cutting voids
- Building stepped-footing and other foundation families
- Creating columns
- Adding framing
- Working with metals
- Creating tags and annotations
- Printing sheets
- Creating trusses
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating Concrete Buildings with Revit Structurewith Eric Wing1h 56m Intermediate
Revit Structure 2016 Essential Trainingwith Eric Wing2h 44m Beginner
1. Basic Families
2. Foundation Families
3. Framing and Metals
4. Detailing and Annotations
5. Sheets and Printing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.