The idea of retro-BIMming is cursed in the industry. So many firms did all the right things and the project ended up costing so much money it was not seen as a success to the architect. Another reason it is cursed is that many times the process of BIM isn't introduced until the contractor is involved and the models must be renovated to fit their needs. This video discusses these challenges and proposes methods to avoid the need for retro-BIM.
- [Instructor] The term retro-BIMming … is not common in the industry. … In fact, I have coined it to describe what I see … architecture firms do so many times. … They manage a project as if it is a drafted production … and then attempt to BIM it up … upon turning the model over to the contractor. … It's a ramification of that panic moment … we described earlier. … If the firm is transitioning to Revit, … retro-BIMming takes the form of mixing 2D drafting … with 3D modeling in an ineffective manner … so that 3D coordination happens only during preconstruction. … It's a failsafe way to blow budgets … and lose money on a project. … For firms that have been using Revit, … but not in a collaborative manner with their consultants, … this can mean establishing wall heights … that are not constrained correctly, … or ceiling heights that are not in the correct place. … It could also mean such a large, … cumbersome architectural file … that it's near impossible to do the work. … For the MPE files, …
- Comparing BIM and Revit
- The facility life cycle
- Lean BIM Execution Plans
- Deliverables and linking strategies
- Model control strategies
- Model requirements
- Design reviews
- Scope, schedule, and budget
- Streamlining the process
- Project phases
- Lean design coordination meeting
- Preventing retro-BIMing
Skill Level Beginner
BIM Manager: Managing CAD Standardswith Eric Wing55m 33s Intermediate
Introduction - The Architect's Lean BIM Execution Plan
1. BIM in the Design Phase
2. Digital Excellence and Intentionality
3. Modeling Requirements
4. Coordination and Deliverables
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.