With a little creative thinking, you can use custom area schemes to create area takeoffs for nearly any calculation required. The only limitation is that areas are a plan-only tool, so you won't be able to perform calculations in elevations or sections.
- [Instructor] In this video, I want to show you…a few specialized uses of the Area tool.…Now like so many tools in Revit,…there's the intended purpose that it was designed for…and it works really well for that,…but with just a little bit of thinking out of the box,…you can actually push the limits of this toolset…and do some pretty interesting things.…So in this first example, I'm going to show you how…we can use the Area tool to do a simple millwork takeoff…here in the project.…And all it requires is creating a custom area schemes…and using it just slightly differently…than we have with the other area schemes.…
Now I've already done some of the basics here.…So if we look over here in my Project Browser,…I've got Area Plans Millwork Calculation…in the level 3 floorplan for that scheme,…and that scheme was created in the Room & Area panel…in the Area and Volume Computations dialogue, Area Schemes,…and I just created a new scheme called Millwork Calculation.…I do want to point out that I've gone in and changed…
In this course, Paul F. Aubin explores the creation of area plans and areas, and discusses the workflow that enables them. Using these tools, see how you can group and quantify the spaces within a project, and create detailed and accurate calculations of all important areas. The resulting information can be presented graphically onscreen, printed, scheduled, reported, and exported as necessary to satisfy a variety of project stakeholders—those using Revit and those who don't. If you have found it difficult to capture the intricacies of area calculations in your Revit projects—or have only tried to do so using the room elements—then you owe it to yourself to give area elements a try.
- Getting started with area schemes
- Overview of the area scheme toolset
- Creating a Gross Building area calculation
- Calculating Rentable areas in a commercial building
- Creating Rentable area plans
- Customizing areas and area schemes
- Understanding area rules
- Non-traditional uses for area plans