A basic family is pretty dumb until you ad the connector. Well, maybe that's a harsh term, but a family is just a basic BIMless block without a connector. In this video we will learn the types of data that is associated with the different kinds of connectors and we will actually ad one to a mass, load it into a project and test it out!
- [Narrator] What I'd like to do…is look at what makes a family a family.…See, when we have a family that needs…mechanical or electrical data,…we need a connector added to it.…Yeah, we could make a family mechanical equipment,…but we don't really know what kind of…equipment data that's gonna have appended to it.…It's the connector that makes it a family.…So let's just start from scratch.…Under Families, let's go New.…What I want to do is just go down to Generic Model,…and let's hit Open.…
This is just an ambiguous run-of-the-mill family.…Let's make it something though,…so on the Create tab, let's click on…Family Category and Parameters.…I'm gonna come down and I'm gonna make it…Mechanical Equipment, then I'm gonna hit OK.…Now I'm simply gonna just create a big extrusion.…Now I don't care how big it is,…I'm just gonna draw a rectangle,…and I'm gonna click Finish Edit Mode.…Now if I click Family Category and Parameters,…it knows it's mechanical equipment,…then they have values associated with it,…but if I go to the blue R, go to New, Project,…
- Importing AutoCAD files into Revit
- Linking Revit modeling
- Creating floor plans
- Using worksets
- Creating sheets
- Creating new family types
- Adding and modifying ducts, fixtures, piping, plumbing, and more
- Creating plumbing and HVAC plans
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/01/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: collaboration, documentation, elements, modeling, and views.
Apply view templates4m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.