Join Eric Wing for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating custom cone top columns, part of Revit: Structural Families.
- [Voiceover] I like those old fashioned…concrete columns with the cone at the top.…They're pretty cool.…I hate it when people avoid modeling them, though.…This video will have us creating…a column family using a revolve at the top,…then we're going to specify a base.…So, this is the type of column I want to do.…We have a cone shaped top, what's usually…a round or a square base; we'll model…a round base, and usually some kind of…pre-cast, concrete bearing plate at the top of it.…So, to get started, let's jump into Revit.…Under "Families", let's go "New", let's…scroll down to "Structural Column".…
Let's click "Open".…We have a few reference planes made;…these are pretty common as we've learned so far,…but we might as well take advantage…of the ones that are in here.…The first thing I usually do, though,…is I investigate what parameters we have,…so I'm going to click on "Family Types."…We really don't have too many,…"Structural Material", we'll definitely use that,…so let's hit cancel, and let's add some dimensions.…
Following an overview of the basics, Eric provides specific instructions on modeling different types of families: foundation, framing, annotation, and truss families. He'll show how to perform 3D extrusions and build in flexibility with parameters, as well as create formulas, array parameters, and lookup tables.
- Understanding parameters and reference planes
- Creating extrusions and sweeps
- Cutting voids
- Building stepped-footing and other foundation families
- Creating columns
- Adding framing
- Working with metals
- Creating tags and annotations
- Printing sheets
- Creating trusses
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating Concrete Buildings with Revit Structurewith Eric Wing1h 56m Intermediate
Revit Structure 2016 Essential Trainingwith Eric Wing2h 44m Beginner
1. Basic Families
2. Foundation Families
3. Framing and Metals
4. Detailing and Annotations
5. Sheets and Printing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.